Sunday, February 10, 2013

MOM'S FOOD: TO DIE FOR

The one thing I do not like about being half way across the globe from home is the fact that I can't have the luxury of eating a home-cooked meal. I am sure many of you crave for your mom's cooked-to-perfection pork roast or that made-with-love beef casserole from time to time, right?

That was certainly the case for me these past couple of days as I looked through pictures from home. I would kill die for a serving of mom's 'Devil Curry' or 'Pork Ambilla Curry' right now. It is only natural to crave for food that I grew up eating at home - Malaysian Portuguese Eurasian Food.

Within the pluralists cultures of Malaysia, Eurasians (also referred to as the Kristangs, pronounced 'Kris-tongues') form a minority group in Malaysia. Malaysian Eurasians are are mainly descendants of the Portuguese settlers who came to Malacca (a state in the southern part of West Malaysia) during the European occupation in 1511. These settlers married local women and created this unique community of mix-raced people. Even after generations of inter-marriages and the assimilation into the local Malay culture, the Eurasians have managed to preserve their culture and traditions till today. Many Eurasians in Malacca, like my grandmother and mother, take pride in their distinct culinary tradition.

Moving away from the mini-history lesson...

I am going to introduce you to a few Malaysian Eurasian dishes that are sure to whet your appetite. These dishes also happen to be my favorite ones!

Portuguese Debal Curry a.k.a 'Devil Curry'
This is a hot and fiery dish is made with mustard seeds, turmeric, vinegar, candle nuts and lots of fresh red chilies blended in a thick paste and -hence its name- and cooked with smoked pork or chicken and potatoes. It is usually served with hot rice or bread. This dish is heavenly for some but hellishly fiery for the feeble tummies out there.

Eurasian Beef Semur (Beef Suh-Moore)
Feeble tummies out there will love this hearty and peppery beef stew.  The beef is first marinated with  pepper, vinegar, ginger and garlic then it is cooked with potatoes and carrots to perfection.
Ambilla Curry (Ahm-bee-luh -curry)
This dish , affectionately known as 'Rain-Rain Curry' in my household, is usually cooked with beef and long beans. Other variations include cooking it with pork, luncheon meat and eggplant. Tamarind juice also is added to give this dish that appetizing sour tang.
Restaurants that serve Eurasian food in Malaysia aren't common, let alone in the United States. However, the best of this unique cuisine can be found in households that maintain this culinary tradition. I have definitely tried my hand at cooking Beef Semur just to satisfy my cravings and it turned out pretty damn good, I might add. I realized that looking at pictures of food and blogging about it also does not help my food craving in any way!

More deliciously Malaysian food to come!

-That Malaysian Boy-

4 comments: